Chicago Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucks are vital to Chicago’s economy but as they make their way in and around the city, they pose a real danger to others. A commercial truck weighs approximately 35,000 pounds when it is not loaded, and that increases to 80,000 pounds when it is carrying a load. This weight causes an immensely forceful impact when a truck is involved in an accident with another vehicle, resulting in extremely serious injuries and even death.
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, you have a right to claim damages for your medical expenses, lost income, and other losses. Unfortunately, truck accident claims are some of the most complicated personal injury claims to file. A Chicago truck accident lawyer can help you through the process, and help ensure you recover the maximum damages you deserve.
Causes of Truck Accidents
The majority of truck accidents are caused by truck driver error. Truck drivers have a lot to contend with on the road. They must operate their large vehicle while navigating the systems within the truck, communicate with other truckers, and they must meet very tight deadlines. If truckers do not pay careful attention, they could make a deadly mistake such as driving while impaired, speeding, driving while distracted, or driving while drowsy. These are just a few acts of negligence truck drivers engage in that cause accidents on the road.
Trucking companies can also contribute to a truck accident if they do not comply with federal laws, such as performing regular inspections and repairs. Trucking companies must also ensure they use proper hiring and training practices so their drivers have the necessary skill and experience before they head out on the road. When trucking companies fail to meet these duties, incompetent and inexperienced drivers will cause a crash.
Determining Liability After a Truck Accident
One of the most challenging aspects of a truck accident claim is determining which party is liable for the crash. After an accident involving two smaller vehicles, it is fairly easy to determine liability because one driver usually caused the crash. However, multiple parties may be liable for a truck accident, including:
- The truck driver: Again, truck drivers can act in a number of negligent ways that cause a crash.
- The trucking company: Trucking companies are expected to comply with the legal requirements in the industry. Any time they do not and an accident results, they can be held liable.
- Inspectors and maintenance crew: A trucking company may hire another entity to inspect and maintain their vehicles. When they do, the third party company is responsible for ensuring a truck is safe before it heads out on the roads.
- Loading companies: Sometimes third party companies are also hired to load and unload the cargo from the trucks. If they do not load cargo properly, it will shift during transit and throw off the alignment of the truck, causing an accident.
- Manufacturers: Truck manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their vehicles are safe and road-worthy.
A Chicago truck accident lawyer can help determine who is liable, so you know which party to hold accountable.
Our Chicago Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You Claim Damages
Truck accidents are extremely complex and one small mistake could result in a forfeiture of damages. At Connolly Injury Law, our skilled Chicago truck accident lawyer will build you a strong case and file your claim properly so you recover the fair settlement that will cover your losses. Call us today at 312-780-0816 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.